Driving licence; application for a driving licence and the extension of an existing driving licence
If you want to drive a motor vehicle on public roads, you need a driving licence that entitles you to drive this vehicle. The driving licence is proof of the driving licence.
If you want to drive a motor vehicle on public roads, you need a driving licence that entitles you to drive this vehicle. You can apply for the driving licence at your local driving licence authority in the district office or the independent city. You can also hand in the application at the local authority. The same applies if you already hold a driving licence but want to drive vehicles belonging to a different driving licence class (extension).
When you apply for a driving licence, you must state at which driving school you will be trained.
The theoretical and practical training will be provided by the driving school you have chosen, which will then also present you for the driving licence test at the TÜV after the driving licence authority has issued a test order. After taking and passing the test, which is usually divided into a theoretical and practical driving part, the driving licence for the class(es) applied for can be issued if all other requirements are met. The same applies to the extension of an existing driving licence.
The driving licence will be issued to you for the respective class if you
- have your normal place of residence in Germany
- have reached the required minimum age,
- are qualified to drive motor vehicles,
- have been trained to drive motor vehicles in accordance with the Driving Instructor Act and the legal provisions based on it,
- have demonstrated their ability to drive motor vehicles in a theoretical and practical test,
- can administer first aid,
- do not hold a driving licence for this category issued in a Member State of the European Union or in another State party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area, and
- in the case of certain categories of driving licence, are in possession of another category of driving licence.
Further details are regulated in §§ 7 ff of the Driving Licence Ordinance (FeV).
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: valid identity card or passport
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Current biometric photo (front shot)
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Vision test certificate issued by an officially accredited vision testing center or a medical certificate issued by an ophthalmologist (no more than two years old)
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Proof of participation in a training course in first aid
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Additional documents will be required for the following driver's license categories: C, CE, C1, C1E, D, DE, D1, D1E
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide: Fahrschüler-Ausbildungsordnung (FahrschAusbO)
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide: Verordnung über die Zulassung von Personen zum Straßenverkehr (Fahrerlaubnis-Verordnung - FeV)
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide: Straßenverkehrsgesetz (StVG)
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
Responsible for you
Alphabetical and hierarchical overview of all procedures.