Residence permit; application and renewal
Non-EU nationals can be granted and extended a residence permit for various residence purposes (e.g. gainful employment, study, au pair, family reunification).
The residence permit is a temporary residence title. It is issued for the purposes specified in the Residence Act, e.g. for
- for humanitarian reasons,
- for the purpose of study or training,
- for the purpose of employment, self-employment or research,
- for family reunification for spouses/life partners and minor children, provided the foreigner living here has a right of residence himself/herself,
- for spouses/life partners and minor children of Germans.
In addition to the conditions for issuing a residence permit, the Residence Act also regulates whether there is a legal entitlement to the issuing of a residence permit for the individual purposes of residence or whether the foreigners authority has to make a discretionary decision.
The residence permit is normally valid for the entire federal territory, but can be issued and extended subject to conditions and requirements. Conditions, e.g. a spatial restriction, can also be imposed subsequently.
The residence permit forms the basis for a permanent right of residence - despite the initial time limit - unless an extension is excluded from the outset, e.g. in the case of temporary residence purposes.
The extension of the residence permit, as well as the granting of the residence permit, must be applied for at the Aliens' Registration Office.
The requirements for the issuance of a residence permit differ depending on the purpose of the stay.
In general, the granting of a residence permit generally requires that
- the livelihood is secured
- the foreigner's identity and, if he or she is not entitled to return to another state, his or her nationality have been clarified,
- there is no reason for expulsion,
- insofar as there is no entitlement to the granting of a residence title, the foreigner's residence does not impair or endanger the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany for any other reason and
- the passport obligation pursuant to section 3 of the Residence Act is fulfilled;
and that the foreigner
- has entered the country with the required visa and
- has already provided the information relevant to the issue of the visa in the visa application.
The same regulations apply to the extension of the residence permit as to its issue. Before the residence permit is extended, it must be established whether the foreigner has fulfilled any obligation to attend the integration course properly.
Foreigners subject to visa requirements must apply for the residence title required for further residence during the period of validity of the visa.
Aliens exempted from the visa requirement for the specific purpose of stay must apply for the residence permit required for further residence immediately after entry or within 90 days at the latest.
Required document, Bavaria-wide:
If necessary, you may be required to produce additional documents
The documents to be presented may vary greatly. Please find out more details from your competent Aliens Department (Ausländerbehörde). As a general rule, the documents listed above will be required (among others).
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Valid passport
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Current biometric photo (front shot)
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Supporting documents evidencing guaranteed means of subsistence
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Supporting documents evidencing adequate living quarters
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Supporting documents evidencing medical insurance coverage
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Supporting documents evidencing the purpose of stay, e. g. employer's certificate or employment contract
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: if necessary, further documents
- Period of validity up to one year: 100 Euro
- Period of validity of more than one year: 100 Euro
- up to three months: 96 Euro
- more than three months: 93 Euro
- Legal bases, Bavaria-wide: §§ 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 12a, 16 ff. Gesetz über den Aufenthalt, die Erwerbstätigkeit und die Integration von Ausländern im Bundesgebiet (Aufenthaltsgesetz - AufenthG)
Legal bases, Bavaria-wide:
§ 41 Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV)
Vergünstigung für Angehörige bestimmter Staaten
- Residence permit; application for au pair workers
- Residence permit; application for family reunification with foreigners
- Residence permit; application for the purpose of study
- Residence permit; application for an electronic residence permit
- Residence title in case of an application for political asylum; Application
- Ausländer; Informationen zur Erwerbstätigkeit
- EU Blue Card; application
- Permanent residence-EU; application for permission
- Freizügigkeit für Arbeitnehmer; Informationen
- Integration von Ausländern; Informationen
- National visa; application and extension
- Settlement permit; application
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
Responsible for you
+49 (0)6021 330-0
+49 (0)6021 330-720
Secure request form
Alphabetical and hierarchical overview of all procedures.