National visa; application and extension
Foreign nationals subject to visa requirements require a national visa for entry for longer stays (over 90 days) or stays leading to the taking up of gainful employment.
Theentry of non-EU citizens to Germany generally requires a visa issued by the German mission abroad (embassy, consulate) in the country of origin.
For a stay of more than 90 days, e.g. in the context of family reunification, or for the purpose of gainful employment, visas are issued as so-called "national" visas. The requirements for the issuance of a national visa are based on the regulations applicable to the issuance of a residence permit, an EU Blue Card, an ICT card, a settlement permit and an EU permanent residence permit and thus differ depending on the purpose of stay (see "Related topics").
After entry, the national visa may have to be replaced by another residence title to be applied for at the competent foreigners authority. The application must be made within the period of validity of the visa.
Visas for short stays (e.g. tourist or visiting stays, business trips) of up to 90 days per period of 180 days are to be distinguished from national visas. These are usually issued as so-called "Schengen visas" (see "Related topics" - "Schengen visa; issue and extension").
Exceptions to the visa requirement apply to nationals of
- Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, the USA,
- Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand and the
- Republic of Korea,
who may always enter without a visa, regardless of the duration and purpose of their stay.
This also applies to nationals of Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino, provided they do not intend to pursue a gainful activity.
Nationals of many countries are also exempt from visa requirements for tourist stays (up to 90 days per period of 180 days). Gainful employment is not permitted during the visa-free stay. An immediate extension of the visit is generally not possible without further ado.
Further information on visa requirements, visa exemption and the procedure as well as on the Schengen states can be obtained from the website of the Federal Foreign Office (see "Further links"). Basic information on the requirements for the visa procedure can also be obtained from the Foreigners' Registration Office.
The requirements for the issuance of a national visa are based on the regulations applicable to the issuance of a residence permit, an EU Blue Card, an ICT card, a settlement permit and an EU permanent residence permit and thus differ depending on the purpose of residence (see "Related topics").
The visa application must be submitted to the competent mission abroad in good time before the intended entry.
Required document, Bavaria-wide:
The documents to be submitted may vary considerably.
Please enquire at the locally responsible foreign representation. As a rule, however, the following documents are required:
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Valid passport
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Proof of secure livelihood, if applicable declaration of commitment
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Supporting documents evidencing adequate living quarters
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Supporting documents evidencing medical insurance coverage
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: Supporting documents evidencing the purpose of stay, e. g. employer's certificate or employment contract
- Required document, Bavaria-wide: if necessary, further documents
Visaantragsformulare im PDF-Format - Antragsformulare für einen längerfristigen Aufenthalt (nationales Visum, Kategorie D)
This form has to be signed and sent to the responsible authority. You can sign the form manually and send it by email/fax or sign the form electronically with your qualified electronic signature an send it by (secure) email. If the responsible authority has set up a De-Mail account, you can also send the form by De-Mail using an sender-confirmed message.
- Issue: 75 Euro
- Extension: 25 Euro
- Extension of a Schengen visa in the federal territory beyond 90 days as a national visa: 60 Euro
Legal bases, Bavaria-wide:
§ 6 Abs. 3 Gesetz über den Aufenthalt, die Erwerbstätigkeit und die Integration von Ausländern im Bundesgebiet (Aufenthaltsgesetz - AufenthG)
Legal bases, Bavaria-wide:
§ 46 Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV)
Gebühren für das Visum
Administrative court action (competent administrative court Berlin)
Remonstration with the respective diplomatic mission abroad
- Staatenliste zur Visumpflicht bzw. -freiheit bei Einreise in die Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Informationen des Auswärtigen Amtes
- Residence permit; application for au pair workers
- Residence permit; application for family reunification with foreigners
- Residence permit; application and renewal
- Residence permit; application for the purpose of study
- Residence cards and certificate of permanent residence; application
- Ausländer; Informationen zur Erwerbstätigkeit
- Special visa issued at the border; Issuance
- EU Blue Card; application
- Permanent residence-EU; application for permission
- Settlement permit; application
- Schengen visa; application and extension
- Declaration of commitment; Submission
Responsible for editing: Bayerisches Staatsministerium des Innern, für Sport und Integration
Responsible for you
+49 (0)9621 39-0
+49 (0)9621 39-698
Secure request form
Alphabetical and hierarchical overview of all procedures.